Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Social Networking

There has been so much buzz about “social networking sites,” I decided I had to see what all the fuss was about. I tinkered with two different sites and the results of my efforts are linked below. One is from MySpace and the other is from AOL’s AIM.

MySpace
Mo

AIM Pages
Dot Spot

For all the hype about MySpace, I’m amused that people have to work around the interface to do anything creative. The site is not built for easy customization. I did a search for “how to’s.” Then I tried to change things on my page. By using code I lost some page formatting I liked. I would prefer controls that would just modify the colors that are already there. Argh.

AIM Pages is still in the testing stages, but I like the module concept. There are basic modules that come with a page. Then there are those that individuals create for the group. Some of the modules are generic enough that other people can do what they want in the module. Now if I can just think of a poll to add to mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment